Thursday, February 4, 2010

Polskaville

I think I consider myself a pretty patient person, but I've finally had it with the corporate bullshit of my building management company! After two years ... came the time to move on...

And if you don't know me, I'm a Sagittarius and we constantly need change to keep ourselves entertained. So here I am, February 2010 venturing out into the unknown world of Queens, NY... (hey Astoria is what I've considered Queens before).

Apartment search - mission 01 in 2010, quickly became my PRIORITY! I really didn't want this to become a lengthy process, as those not only tend to discourage me in the end but also I'm an artist and the things people tend to consider as everyday tasks overwhelm me! Yes I can handle much better a 6 figure project than searching for an apartment.

So as of Monday February 1st I was religiously checking all the apartment websites, and calling anything that resembled an apartment... I will have to tell you some of the observations I've made, but let me tell you one thing first. I have a little chihuahua named Jonesy, and as any of you pet owners in the NY metro area know, moving with your pet ain't easy here! They either don't want them, don't like them, their religion doesn't care for them, someone is allergic or some other bullshit reason they can come up with.

This pretty much became a constant after the first day of calling.... whenever there was a woman on the other side of the line, a dog (even my lil 6 lbs chihuahua) was a no no.. and there was even no discussion! You know how it is... 'Not my dog, not my flees, I'm not the one who's going to be scratching myself' kinda deal.
February 2nd ... I got a little smarter... weeded out ALL those ads posted by women! Well except one that said pet friendly. By February 3rd, I've had bunch of places lined up to see, so Blondie Spice, me and our unlimited metrocards were off to the races.

We get off the train and ask someone for directions (yes because the GPS on my iPhone and technically 2 blonds wasn't enough to figure out where the hell we were going). And guess what... it's Polskaville! Polish here, there and everywhere, Polish stores, restaurants, flower stores... damn... I was home once again...
yes mama... I'm coming home ;-)

And did I say it was a mission?! I don't take those lightly! February 4th and I've already found an apartment!!

.....and this is how I ended up in Ridgewood, NY - the up and coming Polskaville!

Shit.... blogs might have to be in Polish from now on, as I will probably loose my english language skills very soon hahaha! So for you English speaking people... better brush up on your Polish! You do have till March 1st!




1 comment: